Suggested Aromas: Dark berry, earthy notes & caramel attributes. Big red fruit palate, lively acidity & firm tannins.
FOOD PAIRING: Try it with pork tenderloin in a fruit (fig) reduction sauce or with chocolate.
Tempranillo Sausage Eggplant
Ready In: 1 Hr 15 Min
• 1 (1 1/2 pound) eggplant, halved lengthwise
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
• 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
• 2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
• 1 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 cup Vivác Tempranillo wine
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Brush cut sides of eggplant with olive oil & place, cut-side up on a baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes, remove and allow to cool.
3. Brown the Italian sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat with wine; drain off the grease. In a mixing bowl, add meat, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, & pepper. Stir in bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, & the beaten egg; mix well.
4. Once the roasted eggplant has cooled enough to handle, scoop out the flesh to within 1/2-inch of the skin to create a shell. Roughly chop the eggplant meat, & fold into the sausage mixture. Divide evenly among the two eggplant shells, & sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake until the filling has set & the cheese is golden-brown, about 30 minutes. Warm the remaining spaghetti sauce to serve with the eggplant.
Pair with: Vivác Tempranillo wine